Technology, Continued...

Ramblings about business, technology, development and my life


Windows 8.1 Update (April 2nd MSDN release) Error Solved

Easy answer: Make sure you have enough disk space free before installing the update!

Long answer: So I immediately jumped at the Windows 8.1 Update MSDN download announced yesterday at Build.  Everything went great until it rebooted during the install.  It got to 77%, then hung for several minutes, then rebooted again.  I was then told it was reverting to the previous version of windows.  When I finally logged back into my machine, a nice app screen came up telling me that the update couldn’t be installed.  At the bottom was the following error code.  I tried this twice… same error at the same place both times.

0x101 0x20007

Sorry the screenshot below is so bad – my screen capture tools weren’t loaded when it was displayed, so I had to take a pic from my Surface I had next to me.

Anyway, I did some googling and found that there are logs here… C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther.  I don’t remember now, but one of them had the activity log of the entire upgrade attempt.  At the bottom was the answer.  It referenced insufficient disk space!  I had 17gb left on my drive, so it never even crossed my mind that that could be the problem.  However, I cleaned up my HD and tried again with 47gb of space, and it worked perfectly!







Problem solved.

Comments are closed