The information below is not an attempt to generalize how to set up powershell remoting. It's a single experience I've had in a test environment; it might help someone else, and it might not. Be warned.
Client machine was Windows 7 64-bit
No software needed to be uninstalled or installed
Server machine was Windows Server 2008 64-bit
I uninstalled Powershell feature, as per this article, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd351188.aspx, thinking I would then install Windows Management Framework Core package as per this article, http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=968930. However, after removing the Powershell feature as per the first article, I then tried to install the core package. It kept saying I didn't need the update. I checked further, and it turns out the core package was already installed. Must have been an automatic update or something.
After getting the right software installed, I fired up powershell on both machines. I immediately tried to get my computer name on the local machine, jwestp14, and the remote server, sv1. You can see the error I got when I tried it for sv1.
So, I did a little research and found this article, http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/powershell/powershell_wsman.htm. I'll summarize what I did here:
Setting up the client
At the powershell prompt, enter the following:
- I got prompted to start the winrm service, which i did.
set-item trustedhosts sv1
- this gave me the result below. Note I had to confirm modifying the trustedhosts list.
- this restarted the service, obviously.
Ok, so this set up my client correctly. I tried to get the remote computername again, and got this new error.
The most amazing thing is how verbose a lot of the powershell errors are.
Setting up the server
I went to the server and ran the following command:
I got the following result.
I then went back to my client and ran the following command.